My mum recently installed Ubuntu on her Dell laptop to test whether problems she was having with it were OS specific or hardware related. As it happened it appears the problems were OS/Driver related so she's stuck with Ubuntu for the moment.
Lately I've re-discovered a passion that I thought that I had lost and I am going to be putting that passion to work, both in the business and in reviving a couple of old projects.
Firstly, I'm going to try and revive LocalFOSS. This really didn't spark the first time round, so I'm going to start again from scratch and see if I can create the news and community site that I had envisioned the first time round.
Once again confusion reigns for the readers of my blog as I do one last address change. This is the final resting place for my blog and personal site. It's Me.
Some of you might remember a few posts ago I mentioned that there would be some changes being made due to business related activities. These changes will mean that this blog will be moved to a new location and a new business site will be taking its place.
So over the next few days service may be interrupted as the changes are implemented.
More Myth ponderings.
MythNews does have the facility to add feeds directly from the UI (which I thought it didn't have before), not only does enter the feeds directly into the database, but it doesn't actually touch the xml file. This begs the question, "why use the xml file at all?"
So we really don't need the XML File at all. Instead we need to be able to replace it with direct DB manipulation. So with that in mind I think I have a solution.
A quick update.
Google finally came good at about 1am yesterday morning. Bleh
I've also been hacking a bit more on mythnews, I've fixed up the special characters in the file name issue, but I'm still getting hit by the loss of focus when playing audio files. I've attached the latest version of the patch so if anyone wants to have a look and tell me where I'm missing something really obvious, please do.
Keep in mind, this is being built against the release branch and not trunk.
Sigh, I'm trying to register the new site I'm working on with Google Webmaster Tools so I can do the whole SEO thing.
However Google doesn't seem to want to verify the site. I've double, triple and quadruple checked the dns configuration, but I either get "Could not find your site name" or "Server Timeout".
Haven't blogged for a little while so I thought I would just jot down some notes:
I haven't done much more on the myth patch, but I have a few ideas that need to be implemented, including a better way to add feeds.
Am working on a new part of the business, there should be an announcement sometime in April.
Still pondering the political stuff, need to put more thoughts down on the political blog.
Will add more when I've got it sorted in my head.
Well tonight, I decided I would sit down and do something that wasn't related to the business in any way shape or form. After looking through the mythnews code I figured I would ty my hand at modifying it to allow for permanent downloads of media files.
I've attached the resulting patch and have also submitted it to mythtvs trac instance
Now that I have the basics down, this is what I think needs to be done for it to be "teh r0x0r":
Slightly late (I had planned on doing this yesterday afternoon). I've attached a news-settings-abc.xml file to this entry. This contains all the mythnews style entries for every ABC podcast/vodcast I could find. Just a note, I haven't tested all of the feeds and I know that a couple of the vodcasts don't play nice (still looking into that).
Anyway leave a comment or shoot me an email if you have any corrections or suggestions.